Saturday, December 7, 2013

Richmond

I don't really know why but I find myself drawn to Richmond. I'm not a fan of 'big cities' but something about the heart of Richmond speaks to me. I enjoy spending time wandering Richmond and discovering new to me history. The Civil War era bridge below has been in several of my past posts. I just like it - and some day I will actually stand upon the bridge. There is a thirty foot gap on each end between the bridge and the shore. Not wanting to risk arrest, I will someday convince the James River Park guys to grant me permission to climb the footings to the top.

Everywhere you look in downtown Richmond there is history waiting to be explored.

I just needed one more person to stand on the bridge to even out the spacing! 

There are railroad tracks all over Richmond. I included this pic just because if I look at it for more than a few seconds it makes my eyes hurt!

 The Virginia War Memorial. A beautiful and quiet place to reflect upon the many lives given to support our freedom and way of life.

One of my favorite parts of the War Memorial are the panes of glass etched with all of the names of Virginians that have died fighting in battle. The names are separated by each conflict, dating back to the Civil War.


I tried to be artistic and get a shot of the flag through the etched panel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment